Friday, September 11, 2009

FOLK ART


Snapshots are folk art and you can't discount folk art as an art form. Think of snapshots as today's
Daguerreotypes to one day be collectibles of the future. (Okay -- not a great analogy since Polaroids would be a better one.)

Point is, with snapshots, families tend to create traditional styles of shooting. While growing up, my family was big on dinner table shots. I'm pretty sure this had to do with my parents always being dressed up fancy and my mother having had the table done up just so. If it was Thanksgiving, a turkey would grace the table, if a birthday, a birthday cake, but other than that, it was always sans food and seriously static.

Currently, the tradition with my kids is that my oldest winks in all the shots and my youngest intentionally closes his eyes.



No comments: