Thursday, January 14, 2010

The camera does not take pictures ...

... the photographer does!

And so goes the age old misconception that great imagery is based solely on the type of camera you have, when, in fact, a camera is just a tool that the photographer uses to capture images. "That camera takes great pictures!". (Think: Guns don't kill people, people do.) You do not need an expensive camera to take great photographs since I know plenty of people who own high end cameras and believe me, they are by no stretch of the imagination photographers nor amateurs. (They are, however, great consumers!)

Afterall, let's not forget the very affordable image making vehicles ... the Kodak Brownie, the Diana, and the Holga. So, in the spirit of this cartoon: the convenient and readily available camera-phone, here are a few shots I took with my cell phone. As you can see, I just disproved my theory -- these are not great pictures since the quality is lacking. But then, I didn't say anything about resolution. : )

I stand by the belief that a great photographer can create a great photograph with even, if necessary, a pinhole camera. (Let's just hope it isn't necessary.)





~~~ + ~~~
© K.L.Knief

No comments: